Friday, November 7, 2014

We did it!

Today, early morning I felt like a teenager who was excited about her new adventure. I was getting ready for Dubai Women's Run and this was my first run ever. I had trained myself for last two months but was still nervous.  5K was something which looked like full marathon in the morning. 

My friend participant had kindly offered to pick me up. Whist waiting for her in the morning I had mentally pictured myself in the run and was ready to give my best shot. When my friend arrived with her husband and kids, slight drizzle in a desert city surprised us. According to my friend's husband this was a good sign. We reached the starting point on time and was pleased to see so many enthusiastic women, all ready for this day. We decided to use the restroom first and was able to chit chat with few strangers in the long queue. For some, like us, it was their first time and they were equally nervous. Some second and third timers said that taking part in these runs is addictive. I was skeptical about it. 

We began our first 5K with lot of zest. First one kilometer seemed like three! I couldn't run all the time and took short breaks and walked. The water station was a big respite. Last 200 meters was the longest stretch I ever ran. But, like everything which starts has an end, I could see the finish line. YES! I finished the race in 37 minutes. I could hear my friend's son shouting my name in ecstasy. The finisher's medal added more joy to our achievement whilst the photographers were buzzing around us. 

On our way back we couldn't stop dancing and laughing in the car. My friend had a silly smile (as she said) on her face and her kids were proud of their mother. After I got back home, I couldn't stop myself from posting my pictures on WhatsApp and Instagram. Yalla!
that stranger was correct, it is addictive and I am thinking about 10K already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment