Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Date with Flamingos

Sometimes I wonder why 24 hours in a day is not enough for me. I usually plan my week in advance and any last minute "coffee meeting" is difficult for me to adjust in my schedule. Still, I think, I should be prioritizing my activities to steal more time to read and explore Dubai. 


Lately, I went to a bird sanctuary for flamingo watching in Ras Al Khor with two friends. My taxi driver had no clue about this place and he commented in hindi - "Madam, I have been driving in Dubai since past ten years and had NEVER heard of this place!?" Well, I was proud to guide him the directions with the help of my google map. 

Our eyes couldn't believe what we saw.....more than 300 flamingos in the heart of a desert city - Dubai! We reached there just before the bird's feeding time. To my surprise, the care taker allowed me to go near the water body, with a warning (which I ignored) that they will all fly. As he predicted, to our disappointment, they all flew in a group to some other invisible place. And there we were, sad and hoping for a miracle. Our last respite was the feeding time. We waited patiently and finally the person-in-charge arrived. We carefully watched his action of throwing the feed in the water. Yes! the birds started walking (not flying) towards their food. They were only half or may be less in number, but that also excited us. We admired them like children who just found their lost pet. We examined their moves carefully, their needle legs and wondered how they can stand on one leg for so long. Their S shaped neck and black coloured lining under their feather mesmerized us. This left me thinking - yappari, how beautiful nature is!



No comments:

Post a Comment